March 29, 2009

Woot!

Videogum has taken my suggestion (I didn't see anyone else suggest it, so) and added "Bicentennial Man" to their "Search for the Worst Movie of All Time"! What they do is hilariously recap the movies, the horrible, horrible movies. In an extremely cool twist, not only did Bicentennial Man immediately jump to the TOP FIVE WORST MOVIES OF ALL TIME, it also SPAWNED an entirely new RULE - no more Robin Williams movies! Getting in under the wire WIN! I just couldn't be silent because they panned a movie I actually love, "What Dreams May Come" (did a fine job of it, too) so I said if that's the kind of movie you want to pan, you really need to see BM. While you're there, check out the full list of movies, and the site in general. While there is no shortage of pop culture humor, I think this is a pretty good one. So far I've skipped the ones I've never seen, but I'll get back to them.

S1M0NE is on there, and the utter reaming they deliver to "AI" is positively brilliant. Ok, it's not Cracked or Televisionwithoutpity, but it's good, funny stuff.

On a completely bizarre note, my husband is right now out picking up and adopting a DOG. We have never owned a dog and aside from me, everyone in the house except my daughter has been completely against the idea. Suddenly today I'm faced with a fait accompli and there will be a dog here in half an hour. I have no idea what I'm doing. I hope she provides a leash and some supplies. I did cook the little guy some bacon as a welcome to our house treat. Our cats are going to be furious, but perhaps doggie and bunny will become friends...the bunny was trying his best to befriend and play with the cat, and the cat was having none of it.

In unrelated news, I, who really doesn't care when celebrities die for the most part (OK, Lena Zavaroni upset me, and so did the passing of the old Pepperidge Farms guy, because I not only met him during a local theater production, I recorded him saying "Pepperidge Farms Remembers!" and totally had him sign a copy of a life-sized promo cut out of him that we stole from a local store.) Still, despite my disinterest, I was caught off guard by the death of Natasha Richardson. I hate celebrity news, but I love Vanessa Redgrave, and I love Liam Neeson, and the whole thing was just such a clusterfuck - poor woman was on the bunny trail taking a skiing lesson, took what by all accounts was a very normal and expected fall, in the middle of the trail where there was nothing to hurt her, walked away feeling fine, and hours later was brain dead. Wtf? Couple that with being married to Liam effing Neeson, who I love, and the fact that she was a healthy young woman with two young sons, and I'm sorry, but that's just horribly sad. What a blow to them! RIP, Natasha. Say hello to Boris.

While we're here, I might as well point you to a cool new subdivision of LOLcats that will surely appeal to us middle agers - Nostalgic Wins from our pasts. I just submitted my Wooly Willy post for consideration.

The best new show you aren't watching - Dollhouse with Eliza Dushku. It's a Joss Whedon show, which is supposed to be a good thing, and the concept is a bit complicated, the characters are awesome (Topher, I love you! And Boyd? I want to have your babies), the writing is excellent, and they put Eliza in sexy outfits as she kicks serious ass. There are many various levels to the story, and Whedon has a five year plan, though he's trying to tell a complete story in the first just in case it doesn't get picked up. Go to Hulu to see the first 7 episodes (you still have time to get caught up and catch it from the beginning, which is essential), then mark off Fridays at 9 for the new ones - despite my rule of never watching network television, if they keep doing good things with this show, I'm THERE. For hilarious recaps of the episodes, visit Televisionwithoutpity after you see them, and have some laughs - join the forums if you want to talk to any other fans. Good stuff. Interestingly there was a whole flashback plot involving Dushku trying to bring down an animal testing lab, which of course totally goes back to her role in "Jaye and Silent Bob Strike Back." I am the CLIT commander! Hehe.

Moment of Zen...I guess Obama is about as far from a Lincoln as he can be, though he fancies himself a Lincoln.

13 comments:

none said...

Yes. Bi-man is about the worst movie I've ever seen...besides mystic river that is..

congrats on the new dog!. The first thing he or she will do when it enters your house is pee and poop.

So it might be a good idea to take it immediately to the yard so it can start learning the proper area...oh yeah it well eat out of the cat box too.

Anonymous said...

Eliza is in Dollhouse? I've heard of the show, but like you watch very little network tv. I loved her as Faith on Buffy. lol! I'll have to check it out. Another thing we agree on: Liam effing Neeson. MMmmm, yum, yum. I was sorry to hear about his wife, too. THose poor little boys, losing their mom so early in life. So sad.

Anniee451 said...

Hammer! Hi there. So you hated Bicentennial Man too LOL. Bad, bad, bad movie that just never ends. The recapper does a great job of articulating all the horrible things about it. That whole petitioning to become legal human beings (that went on for like ten hours) - holy crap, that sucked, and the message was so DUMB.

The doggie is here - he's a tiny little thing, and so cute. He was too scared and out of his element to eat the bacon (aww) and basically we set him up on the couch in his favorite blanket...he's just looking around with a very sad and scared face, which is understandable, and I still don't know what his little bark sounds like as he's very quiet. (She said he's always quiet. Good.) Truly, thanks for the advice, I will surely take it. It's thundering out right now (which is upsetting him a little) but I'll do that later :) At least a guy this small won't be requiring long-ass walks, which is a huge plus.

And pthalo, you must be the long lost twin I always knew I had SOMEWHERE in the world! I LOVE Eliza Dushku - she's beautiful, and even if she isn't some great actress, I just plain like her. Her character kicks total ass, and like I say, all the characters in this show really are great - they all have stuff that you can't help being drawn to.

Liam effing Neeson...oh yeah, talk about epic yumminess. It's very sad for him - just like his character on Love, Actually :( I feel very bad for him in this - what a blow! And no, being rich, famous, and talented doesn't make up for such a devastating and unexpected loss. Poor guy. I'm sure he'll take good care of his boys, but damn. And I really like Vanessa Redgrave - my husband always sees signs up in Manhattan for her one-woman show, but personally I loved her in "The Group" most.

Anniee451 said...

Oh, and doggie is smaller than all our cats lol. Which is good; maybe they won't be too scared of him. I'm hoping he makes friends with our bunny, who has tried and tried to make friends with the cats, without success. He needs a buddy.

J. Travis said...

Is that the bunny that was raping the guinea pig?

I have actually liked Robin Williams in some dramtic parts, even though as a comedian I can't stand him. Politically, he's just an ass.

BM was just lame, lame, lame. Not even awful enough to be memorably bad.

The Dollhouse is GREAT, I just keep waiting for the corporate pinheads at Fox to cancel it. Supposedly the assholes who killed Firefly are all gone, but I can't trust that.

Dushku is HOT!

Anniee451 said...

No, that bunny has gone off with the black rabbit of Inle - er, he's dead. This bunny is very sweet and friendly. He's one of those dutch rabbits, black and white.

I do hope Dollhouse gets picked up - it's awesome. And hell yeah, she's hot LOL

Anonymous said...

I have absolutely NO idea what you folks are talking about... other than Travis Lee's assessment of Robin Williams being a dumb ass when it comes to politics.

Eema-le said...

What breed is he? I can make a little coat for him for next winter if you like.

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

Annie ~
I took a look at that list of contenders for the all-time worst movie category, and I guess it’s to my credit that I have seen only a few of those named.

He says that to qualify, a movie must have an A or B List actor in it. I wonder if Bela Lugosi would qualify as a “B” actor, because if so, then he must put the infamous PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE on that list. But of course, PLAN 9 is so bad it’s actually funny. Inadvertently funnier than most deliberate comedies in fact. PLAN 9 is one of my all-time top 25 favorite movies - few things make me laugh harder and more often. But if it isn’t the worst ever made, then probably some other Ed Wood movie is.

But if we’re talking about “seriously” bad movies, my own list would definitely include these:

THE OUTLAW – 1943 (w/ Jane Russell and Walter Huston)
THE SHOOTING – 1967 (w/ Jack Nicholson)
SUMMER LOVERS - 1982 (w/ Daryl Hannah)
THE QUICK AND THE DEAD – 1995 (w/ Sharon Stone and Russell Crowe)
DEAD MAN – 1996 (w/ Johnny Depp)
GIRLFIGHT – 2000 (w/ Michelle Rodriguez – if she counts as a “B” star?)
TERMS OF ENDEARMENT – 1983 (w/ Debra Winger, Jack Nicholson, and Shirley MacLoon) This movie actually won the Best Picture Oscar, and I haven’t watched the Academy Awards since.

There are others, of course, but this pile of sh#t leaps immediately to my mind.

~ STMcC
<"As a dog returns to his own vomit,
so a fool repeats his folly."
~ Proverbs 26:11>

Anniee451 said...

Hehe - Girlfight...my God, what a horrible, horrible movie. One of those that literally made me pissed off as I watched it. Wonder why I bothered finishing it at all?

Terms of Endearment, though...I have to say it's a favorite of mine {sheepish look}. Hehe - if I were a man I'm sure I'd hate it :D That's not to say I like all or even most chick flicks; just that one.

HoosierArmyMom said...

Congratulations on your new dog! Dogs are far superior to most people and their level of loyalty is second to none! :-)

Movies, considering most are made by left wing moonbats, need to be carefully screened before spending your hard earned dollars on them. That is MHO on the subject. Haven't been to a movie in years, literally, because of that annoying detail.

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

Yo! Annie ~

>>[Girlfight...my God, what a horrible, horrible movie. One of those that literally made me pissed off as I watched it.]<<

Pissed off? I’m sure the director meant for you to feel “empowered.” Not exactly a movie that extols Motherhood, The Flag, and Apple Pie, eh? I once posted a review of that movie online and I tore it and it’s director a new one.

>>[Terms of Endearment...I have to say it's a favorite of mine {sheepish look}… - if I were a man I'm sure I'd hate it :D That's not to say I like all or even most chick flicks; just that one.]<<

Well, not because it’s a Chick Flick do I dislike it. I have better reasons. But I respect you for hanging in there and defending it despite what I said.

I actually do like a few Chick Flicks. I realize my “Real Man” credibility (what there is of it) is going to take a hit for publicly admitting this, but I like THE SOUND OF MUSIC. It’s just a good movie, damn it. (Although I can’t watch it without feeling that soon afterwards I really should see THE DIRTY DOZEN again. Ha!)

As for TERMS OF ENDEARMENT -– we are all entitled to a few Guilty Pleasures, m’dear. One of mine is the ultra-cheesy THE SPIRIT OF '76. Other more serious or semi-serious movies have tried to capture the Decadent Decade of the ‘70s, but I think none have done so as entertainingly as TSO'76. Granted, a couple of the jokes are real groaners [“Toadblock!” – Oh, I want to hide my face out of embarrassment for them!], but for a goofy spoof that might not even rise to the level of a “B” movie, it sure has its moments.

For me – a guy who was a senior in high school in 1976 - it’s enjoyable to see David Cassidy, Tommy Chong and Leif Garrett poking fun at themselves. And the movie nailed so many of that era’s stuffs: pet rocks, mood rings, est, waiting in line to buy gas on “odd” or “even” license plate days. And the scene where a Ford Pinto explodes is downright hilarious.

I know that more than a few folks would list TSO'76 as one of the worst movies ever made, but I find it funny. For me, it’s like stepping back in time to recall when things were “groovy” and “far out.” And Susan Dey was “HOT!”

~ STMcC
<"As a dog returns to his own vomit,
so a fool repeats his folly."
~ Proverbs 26:11>

dmarks said...

It looks bad. It also looks like a sequel to "Heartbeeps", which I did not see either, but also looked very bad.