October 28, 2008

The Plumber and Israel

"I do know that. … I'll actually go ahead and agree with you on that one."—Joe "Joe the Plumber" Wurzelbacher, during his first stint as a campaign surrogate at a McCain rally, signaling his agreement with an audience member who said: "It's my belief that a vote for Obama is a vote for the death to Israel." "Though "Joe the Plumber" has become a centerpiece of McCain's campaign in the closing days of the presidential race, McCain aides told FOX News the Republican nominee does not share Wurzelbacher's opinion on Obama's view toward Israel." Really? Because I just heard a McCain ad this very day saying pretty much EXACTLY that - and except for the fact that Israel is VERY capable of self-defense (and are close enough to their own roots not to be lazy and stupid like we have grown, so they're more willing to do it), it would be true. Review. Sum up. The ad. So if it's true, and McCain knows it, why throw Joe the Plumber under the bus? I realize the press is trying to eat the man alive and destroy his livelihood, and the LA Times reporter certainly doesn't want that to happen to him, but what's McCain got to lose? Why deny the obvious? Has Obama pretended to be a friend to Israel or something? I don't know, these things just stump me at times. How much people are willing to swallow.

3 comments:

Eema-le said...

I need that t-shirt.

Anonymous said...

As an Israeli, I can tell you that the population here does not expect a change in Israeli-American relations regardless of the election results. Both Mr McCain and Mr Obama have been unfalteringly supportive of Israel in their votes in the Senate. We’ve had historical success in being strong, but also in being willing to talk to our enemies (consider Egypt and Jordan) to bring about peace.

There are scores of real policy differences that distinguish Mr McCain and Mr Obama; this isn’t one of them.

As for Mr Wurzelbacher, I think Mr McCain’s campaign did the right thing in distancing themselves from him. He might be useful in providing insight into the scarred psyche of the struggling American lower middle class, but his life experience does not provide him with the wisdom to advise on foreign affairs.

Anniee451 said...

"I can tell you that the population here does not expect a change in Israeli-American relations regardless of the election results."

I certainly hope that's true.

As to Mr. Wurzelbacher's fitness to advise on foreign affairs; there is a definite affinity that many people in the US feel for Israel; many among them the "scarred" lower-class hard-working people you mention. I'm not being facetious. For many it has to do with their Christianity, and for others it's other factors. For me it's a combination, both of which lead to extreme admiration. To rise from the ashes to become a world power in the circumstances - well that would do it even if my faith didn't.

By the way, I hope you check out Tito the Builder; one of those lower middle class Americans who actually DOES have the wisdom to advise on foreign affairs - you'll see why when you watch and read :)